Terms and Conditions
Please note that on accepting to walk the Rim of Africa, all hikers are acknowledging that they have read and accepted the following terms and conditions:
- We will walk on private land, and across provincial nature reserves. Many farmers have been very kind and generous to give us permission to walk on their properties. The wilderness areas we go through are generally off limits to the public. Our access agreements are valuable, so please respect this code of ethics to ensure we retain such access for future hikers.
- If you are over 65 years of age, please supply a medical certificate from your doctor stating that you are fit enough for an endurance trail of this nature.
- You need to be fit and healthy with reasonable training and preparation to be able to enjoy a trail of this nature.
- Acceptance onto the trail is subject to the hiker completing and submitting a registration from, a signed indemnity from, and full payment on due dates.
- Rim of Africa reserves the right to decline any registrations for any reasons whatsoever, without having to give explanations. In such cases full refunds will be given.
- Should any hiker behave in such a way as to negatively affect the enjoyment or safety of themselves or other hikers, that hiker will be warned and if necessary evicted from the trail without compensation.
- Trail organisers, camp managers and logistics team are not liable for damage to any bags or Re-Supply Boxes, but will ensure they are well looked after while being portaged between camps.
- Please ensure you have adequate medical aid or medical insurance cover.
- Ensure that your medical cover includes emergency evacuation insurance, means that in the event of a medical emergency, you can be airlifted to the nearest hospital. Please check with your insurance company that you are covered for this.
- If you are doing the full thru-hike, you may consider obtaining trip cancellation cover in the event you have to cancel or leave the trail due to injury and are unable to complete it.
- Rim of Africa is strenuous and challenging on a number of days, so please be hiking fit and able to carry your pack up over steep rocky terrain.
Transfer off the Trail
- If for any reason you need to pull out of the trail on any day due to injury or other reasons, or you need to be returned to a town or airport, Rim of Africa will charge a standard AA recommended kilometre rate for the journey. A transfer back to Cape Town can cost a minimum of R2 000 – R2 800 depending where along the trail you need to be transferred from.
On acceptance of your registration a non-refundable deposit of 25% of total donation will be required to secure your place.
Should you cancel your reservation more than 30 days before the start of the trail, a cancellation fee of 25% of the total amount will be charged and is non-refundable, the balance will be refunded to you. Should you cancel within 30 days before the start of the trail, there will be NO REFUND.
You can pay the remainder of your donation amount at any time once you are registered, alternatively please adhere to the recommended payment schedule on the invoice you received.
This is a sample of the form you will be required to sign at the start of the trail. It is for you to read at leisure before the start of the trail. You will be emailed a copy – please sign it and email back to us together with a copy of your ID (this is needed in the event of an emergency evacuation).
I the undersigned, do on my own behalf and on behalf of my dependents, minor children, heirs, executors, trustees, successors and assigns hereby acknowledge and agree:
- That the Rim of Africa Trust, its Directors, Trustees, Employees, Contractors, Successors-in-Title or Assigns (All of whom are herewith referred to as Rim of Africa), shall not be liable for any expense, loss, damage or personal injury sustained by me as a result of any past or future act or omission, whether intentional or negligent, breach of contract, or any other cause of whatever nature.
- To waive and abandon all rights of action, which may arise against Rim of Africa as a result of personal injury, death, expense, loss or damage sustained by me before, during or a er the hiking programme.
- That in no way derogating from the above:
a) The use of all and any facilities provided, and the partaking of any and all activities arranged, advertised or suggested by Rim of Africa is done at my own risk and
b) I have been warned or made aware of the dangers of wild animals, snakes, harvesting operations, travel and other dangers which exist in the area of the hiking programme reserved or arranged by Rim of Africa.
- That I indemnify Rim of Africa against all and any claims of action by any natural or legal person or third party arising from any past or future acts or omissions.
- I agree that the Rim of Africa, its respective members, sponsors and all persons assisting with the organisation of the Rim of Africa Trail shall not be liable for injury, damage, loss or expense of any nature whatsoever and however arising, which I may suffer or incur arising from my participation, and I indemnify the organising parties and hold them harmless in respect of any claim relating to such liability.
- I confirm that I am physically t and sufficiently capable to participate in the trail and that I am acquainted with and bound by all rules governing my participation.
- Any term of this agreement that is or is held to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason whatsoever shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions of this agreement.
- I give permission to Rim of Africa and its sponsors to use free of charge my name and any image of me contained in photographs and / or video footage of the trail, in any marketing materials produced by or for Rim of Africa in the future.